Why The Increase In Cosmetic Surgery For Men?
In 2016, there were 17.1 million cosmetic procedures performed in the United States, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. That’s a 3 percent increase from 2015. But how do men fit into these growing statistics?
More men are undertaking cosmetic procedures, there’s no doubt about that. Last year, they accounted for nearly 1 in 10 procedures performed in the United States.
To be more precise, men had nearly 185,000 surgical procedures and more than 1 million nonsurgical procedures in 2016.
Of course, the motivations behind plastic surgery vary according to the individual. Some men wish to maintain a youthful look as the years go on, others want to feel better about themselves and some want to please their partner.
Plastic surgeon Dr. Richard Ellenbogen says cosmetic surgery for men is becoming less of a taboo. More men are starting to understand the benefits that can be achieved through different procedures he says.
Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Dr. Marc Mani believes a change in workplace values might be influencing men’s thoughts on cosmetic surgery.
“The days of staying with the same company for 40 years until you get your gold watch at retirement are over. Seniority is not as important as energy and productivity, which are both associated with youth. In an economy driven by tech and social media, youthful looks are more important than ever before.”
There’s no reason why men shouldn’t look and feel their best at all times. We live in a time where our society is fitter, healthier and more motivated than ever before. If you want to change something about your face or body – nothing should stand in your way.
The Most Requested Cosmetic Surgery For Men
The most popular surgical procedure for men is liposuction, but it’s not all about fat loss. Figures from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons reveal that the most in demand cosmetic procedures for men in 2016 were:
1.Liposuction (45,012 procedures)
2.Breast Reduction (31,368 procedures)
3.Eyelid Surgery (28,025 procedures)
4.Nose Surgery (26,205 procedures)
5.Face lift (13,702 procedures)
What Do Some Of These Procedures Involve?
- Eyelid rejuvenation (blepharoplasty): From loose skin and lateral brows, to puffy pads below the eyelids and swollen tear troughs, the eyes are one of the first areas of your face to show signs of ageing. Eyelid rejuvenation surgery can help you to look years younger. You’ll once again be able to look in the mirror with confidence and vitality.
- Neck lift: The neck can be a major problem area for men, especially when it comes to buying fitted shirts. A neck lift can help get rid of the dreaded “turkey neck”. It involves tightening the midsection of your neck up to the area behind your ears.
- Nose surgery (rhinoplasty): This is a procedure that’s popular with both men and women. If you’re not happy with your nose, it can affect how you see your entire face. Rhinoplasties can help fix a crooked, wide or asymmetric nose. The surgery can also fix medical issues such as a deviated septum.
- Chin augmentation: Strong chins and chiselled jawlines are high on the wish lists of most men. These are perfectly achievable with a little cosmetic help. Chin surgery can give men more definition and can be combined with nose surgery, a neck lift or even a face lift.
- Male breast reduction for gynecomastia: Male breast enlargement can be both painful, inconvenient and embarrassing. A simple breast reduction can restore a masculine shaped chest and end discomfort and insecurity caused by the condition.
A Booming Industry In General
It’s clear that the plastic surgery industry in America is booming – and it’s only getting bigger.
Last year, Americans spent more than $15 billion on combined surgical and nonsurgical procedures. What’s more, there was a $1.5 billion increase in expenditures over the past year alone. The surge in spending is one of the sharpest increases ever recorded.
But the revelations come as no shock either. The cosmetic surgery industry’s earnings have been on the rise since 2009, when our nation spent approximately $10 billion on cosmetic procedures. Between 2000 and 2016, there’s been 132% more cosmetic procedures.
What’s more, that figure doesn’t even count reconstructive surgeries in response to injury, disease or gender confirmation.
Our society places high value on looking young, feeling healthy and being fit. Whether you’re after a straighter nose, slimmer waistline or more chiselled jawline, there is a solution.
Like many women, an increasing number of men want to feel comfortable in their own skin, confident in any environment and look their best at all times. And many of these men are finding plastic surgery to be a fantastic option to help achieve such results.
As one of the nations top plastic surgeons (she has performed over 4,000 facelifts in eight years), award winning Dr Elizabeth Whitaker will work with you to achieve your personal aesthetic goals. She and her staff go the extra mile to ensure you are comfortable from the moment you book your appointment.
Dr Elizabeth believes there is natural beauty in everyone and aims to find your optimal look. “My goal is for everyone to notice how great you look, but for no one to know how you pull it off!”
Why not get in touch today and enquire about our options for cosmetic surgery for men? Click here to schedule your free consultation.
Whether you live in the Atlanta area, or in another city, the professionals at Atlanta Face and Body can set up a convenient appointment time to suit your personal needs.
It’s never too late to change your life. Take control your body and feel great about yourself once again!